Wednesday, October 20, 2010

PSA

This here is my annual post to remind you about mammograms.

Get one, k?

Not only is October Down Syndrome Awareness Month, as you've surely realized by now, but it is also National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

Both topics are significant to me.

I have a pretty extensive family history of breast cancer and I've been getting mammograms off and on since college, after my mother died in January of my freshman year at the age of 42.

It wasn't until this year, though, that I've done them two years in a row. As a matter of fact, it hadn't even registered that it was time until I got a letter in the mail reminding me last week.

So, since I had my, ahem, Well Woman Exam today, I asked the doctor for a referral. He gave it to me right then and there and since I still had time before I had to pick up Playette from daycare, I walked up and across the street to the Breast Center.

I had only intended to make an appointment, but they had time available and gave me the option to go back right away. I accepted and was in and out pretty quickly.

It's pretty amazing, really. Very short and painless.

And it can do a lot of good.

So if you've been wavering and it's that time, just go, please.

As an aside, I just happened to catch something on CNN the other day where they were talking about mammograms and the expert was saying that digital is better and to request an MRI or ultrasound if at all possible. Just FYI.

My center is participating in a clinical trial that provides MRIs free of charge to those who qualify and I've got my fingers crossed that I get a call tomorrow saying that I can come back for one.

Just wanna cover all the bases.

Gotta stick around and help raise this girl, y'know?

0 comments: