Saturday, June 28, 2008

Me and My Big Mouth

So, about a week or so ago, when I first began this blog, I made a little comment that has come back to haunt me.

That whole sleeping through the night thing. Yeah, about that...

Malea, in her infinite wisdom, has decided that one year of rest for the 'rents is plenty. This week alone, we had 2 nights in a row where she woke up at 1am. First, she'll play in her crib, babbling to herself. Ok, that's not so bad. It kept me up since the monitor is just that good and we can here ants talking about their weekend plans through that thing, but no biggie. But then the whining begins. Nnnnnnaaaaaaaaahhhnananadadadadadadadaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Over. And over. And over.

Thus begins the dilemma. As The Big Ones, we must assess the situation. Is she hungry? Probably not. Is she in pain? Hmmm. Is she bored? Perhaps. Is she PLAYING US? Yet to be seen.

The first night, we pretty much just caved. I mean, yes, she's been a great sleeper in general, but there have been a handful of times when she woke up in the middle of the night and since it was so rare, we'd just bring her in the bed with us and voila - problem solved. No harm, no foul.

But when you hit that second night in a row? That changes things. Cause, as The Big Ones you can't help but wonder if she's testing boundaries. And that's kinda scary cause - hello...she's 1. What are we in for? (don't answer that)

I know some folks are all about the Family Bed, but that's not our thing. Malea slept in her Pack-n-Play bassinett from the time she came home from the hospital until she was about a month old. Then, she moved on to her crib, in her room. We chose that route because we were trying to avoid scenes like the following.

It went a little something like this:

0100
Whining begins. We wait.

0130
Whining continues. Time to huddle and come up with a plan.

"We can't give in. I saw this one episode of Super Nanny and Jo was all, 'Be strong. Just pet the baby and let them know that you're there, but no talking.' Or something like that. So, yeah, let's do that." If all else fails, I suggest turning on the mobile. BD is all, "We haven't used that in months. Pfft."

0200
Seriously? She's not tired yet? Doesn't she know some people gotta go to work in the morning?

I go into the room and try the technique. I even give her a little bear to keep her company. Whew! That actually worked. We are sooo good at this. As soon as I leave the room - Nnnnnnaaaaaaaaahhhnananadadadadadadadaaaaaaaaaaaaa

0215
BD gives it a try. Changes the Playette's diaper. (cause she's playing us for sure now) Rubs on some Orajel in case, just maybe, she's in pain from teething. Rocks in glider. Lays on floor with the Playette. The Playette attempts to actually play with BD, but, um, it's 2:30, so he's not feeling it. I go in the room to see how things are going, see them on the floor, pet BD reassuringly this time, and go back and get in the bed and start watching Shear Genius cause I'm up now.

Minutes later, I hear the mobile. Ha!

0235
BD brings the Playette to our bed. She quickly, happily falls asleep.

Score: Playette - 1, The Big Ones - 0

0300
Shear Genius is over and I don't have much left to choose from on TiVo. My recording of Army Wives is of some other show. Ugh. I look over and see the Playette sleeping and get a bright idea. This heiffa needs to get back in her crib. I take her there.

0303
Nnnnnnaaaaaaaaahhhnananadadadadadadadaaaaaaaaaaaaa

0308
I bring the Playette back to our bed. She quickly, happily falls asleep. AGAIN.

Score: Playette - 2, The Big Ones - 0

This isn't looking good for us.

Update:

We went out last night (Wanted and P.F. Changs) so the Playette stayed home with a sitter. She fell asleep around 8:30 we were told and slept through until 6am. If she was up in the middle of the night, we missed it (probably because we got so little sleep the night before). I can't help but think that she knew we weren't home when she fell asleep so she didn't push the envelope. We'll see what happens tonight.

We're on our way to Oakland today to look at cars. It's two hours away and if BD is as happy with this one car in person as he is with what he saw on the internet, we're going to be a 2-car family again. Which means that I'll have to drive the truck back. I so don't want to do that. And I hate car notes, but that's a post for another time.

3 comments:

Peaches323 said...

Good luck with that battle. I am still fighting it. Just wait until she can get out of the bed by herself. Dante' still climbs in the bed with us. I make him get back in his bed but he just waits until I go back to sleep and jumps right back in my bed. He is worse now than he was as a baby.

Fatimah said...

this is so funny and animated. I want to put some money on playette...hell, she will make me rich. Play on playette!!!

Jen said...

I have been laughing my head off at your blog. So funny!

Thanks for your nice comment today. I look forward to reading more! Your sweet girl is beautiful.