Sunday, October 18, 2009

Reminder

October is also National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

Yesterday, I got my third mammogram. It wasn't so bad.

I remember getting one in college, but I don't recall why. Maybe the doctor felt something? And then I got another one about 5 or 6 years ago.

I have significant family history of breast cancer, so I got started early.

Truthfully, I should be more on top of this. Since my mother was diagnosed at 41, my "get serious" age was about two years ago - 10 years prior to when she was diagnosed.

I lost my mother when she was 42. I'd really like to be around longer for Playette.

If you're so inclined, let this post serve as a reminder to get an appointment scheduled or at least do a self-exam.

2 comments:

Cate said...

I don't think I realized that your mother had breast cancer. Mine too, and at pretty much the same age as yours.

hugs. it's hard. I have to make myself do the screenings too.

I kinda hate October.

Maya said...

This is a great reminder Chrystal.

I'm sorry about your mom and your family history.

Cancer really really sucks.