Saturday, October 16, 2010

Oh, how times have changed.

I can't help but think back to three years ago, when I was invited to my first Buddy Walk.

"What the heck is a Buddy Walk?"

"Oh."

"Why would I want to go to that?" I asked, four-month-old baby resting quietly in my arms.

"Lots of people with Down syndrome? Um. No. I don't think we can make it."

In my head, I was thinking of how uncomfortable I'd surely be. I could picture myself leaving in tears. I would probably stare and might say something inappropriate. I wouldn't be able to be social and enjoy myself. Why would they do something like this anyway? It couldn't possibly be fun for anyone. How sad. All these people, gathering in a park or something, pretending to have a good time.

=====

This month alone we'll have gone to three walks in the effort to raise Down syndrome awareness.

It is fun. For the entire family and our friends.

I love it.

And I mean it.






Click on the links above if you're interested in learning more and/or attending a Buddy Walk. Not all areas have a BW, but there are similar events by other names that you can find by searching out your local Ds group. For example, in WI, we attended DSAW - Fox Cities' "Down Syndrome Awareness Walk" and Sacramento's Down Syndrome Information Alliance calls their walk "Step Up for Down Syndrome."

1 comments:

The Hapa Girl said...

Can't wait to see you tomorrow! OH...I must share and remind you of the tears you shed when I met you for the very first time! I'm just happy that I have had the pleasure of meeting you and your family! ANd that those tears were tears of joy!