Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Proof

Once upon a time, a few months ago, while I was peacefully sleeping, I felt something.

It was a rumble.

It woke me up, or so I thought.

The bed shook and I remember thinking my greatest fear was coming to pass.

A tsunami.

Living near the water has me paranoid.

In my head, I quickly planned out how I would wake BD by screaming while running to grab Playette from her crib. Next, I wondered which window would take me to the highest point of the house.

Rumble Rumble
Shake Shake

And then I calmed down.

Because I figured it was probably something more realistic like a monster under my bed.

Or the end of the world.

Or I was just plain losing my mind.

WHY WASN'T BD WAKING UP?!

Yeah, I thought I was losing it.

I went back to sleep...eventually.

In the morning, I asked BD if he felt it and he looked at me like I was crazy. I said someone or something was shaking the bed. And that I had narrowed it down to being a tsunami or a monster or Armageddon.

Never once did it cross my mind that we live in California now and there are things called earthquakes here.

No, seriously. It never came to me.

Until the other night.

I was sitting in the bed, watching The Secret Life of the American Teenager on TiVo the news and the bed began to shake.

TSUNAMI!

Again?

This time I yelled downstairs to BD.

"Did you feel that?!"

"Feel what?"

"That!"

"I heard you up there banging around, but I didn't feel anything."

"COME! HERE!"

So up the steps he came. Already shaking his head at me. This time I wasn't backing down.

"Please look under the bed," I asked. "But be careful. Something may be under there."

"I see an empty water bottle," was the reply.

(Jerk. Ignore the bottle. It's a decoy. Why don't men get that?)

Again, he mentions that he heard banging, but I assured him that I was up there in the bed wide awake and wondering if Ricky's dad was going to show up at the batting cages studying world events. Then he said something that sounded like "blah blah blah earthquake. Upstairs shakes more than downstairs blah blah blah."

I heard earthquake.

"Please, please go check it out. Look it up on the computer when you go back downstairs to play XBox with your friends. Oh, and also see if you can find out why that car was swerving all over the 405 on Sunday. Thanks!"

So here's proof that I'm not crazy. This time.

And I still don't know what that car was doing on the 405. Hint, hint.

5 comments:

Peaches323 said...

Earthquake!!! I am sweating just thinking about it. Remember to get in the doorway or is it the tub?? Just run for your life.

AZ Chapman said...

yeah those happen a lot here. Have u taken P to the montray bay aquelium.

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

ROFL. I'll take an earthquake over a tornado ANY day! hahaha

Lisa said...

Honey, I've lived in California my whole life and I'm STILL not used to the earthquakes. Every single one of them feels like the end of the world to me :(

sheree said...

omg, that is hysterical. I have yet to feel a real earthquake here and I am terrified. But Tsunamis are way more scary. I am totally irrational with my thinking as well.

At least it wasn't the end of the world. That's always a good thing. ;)