Monday, October 7, 2013

"Fright Night"

That's the name of the episode, in case you want to set your DVR now.

The show is called Good Luck Charlie and the reasons I care are:

1. It's on the Disney Channel.
2. I have a six-year-old daughter.
3. A young actress with Down syndrome has a role!

I haven't seen it yet, but from the pics I've come across, she's rocking a cute outfit and I love it. The next airing is Thursday, 10 October, at 6:30pm Eastern. 

When I learned that the actresses name is Katelyn Reed, it rang a bell. It only took a moment to realize why. We had the pleasure of meeting Katelyn in 2010 when we were all present at a photo shoot for the book, I'm Down with You.

It was at that time that I probably left a lasting, weirdo impression with her mom as I gushed (and probably cried) about how much I appreciated seeing her daughter on the cover of the Toys R Us Toy Guide for Differently-Abled Kids back in 2007. Playette had been a newborn that summer and seeing Katelyn with Maria Shriver, who was then the First Lady of California right when we were about to move there, just did something to me. 

It gave me hope for the future. 

And now we've sorta-kinda come full-circle.

So, yes, we'll be watching and hoping for more great things to come for Katelyn. I love seeing people with Ds find success in mainstream media. It's something that's happening with greater frequency these days. (see: Karrie Brown)

I hope you'll check it out.

And don't worry if you don't have a kid around. The show is goofy fun and I won't tell that you watched alone. 

Not that I've ever done a thing like that myself.

Ahem.


1 comments:

Becca said...

She was also FABULOUS in the first episode of American Horror Story two years ago - she's quite a talented young lady!