Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The New Definition of Wednesday

In a word: Exhausted.

Hopefully, it'll ease up some, but today I am D-O-N-E.

For a couple of Wednesdays in September, I took Playette to a gymnastics class that I learned about early in the summer. Well, actually my friend B told me about the sign that she saw in her neighborhood and I gave them a call. Previously, they had hosted a Special Olympics Young Athletes (ages 2-7) class and I wanted to know if that was still available.

While I am totally on-board with inclusive practices, I am also realizing that certain adaptive activities certainly have merit. I'm all about having options, y'know? I like the ability to make the best choice for my kid. When people take that away from you? It's called discrimination. And I kinda have a problem with that.

So, add that to the fact that the Young Athletes class was free and I was sooooo in.

Except it wasn't going on anymore. Boo. Not enough participation, apparently.

But the lady was really nice and told me that she wanted to work with children with special needs again and that she'd make a decision by the time school started. When she did, she'd call me back.

And she actually did.

Not going did not feel like an option.

Add to that the fact that she comped September as a trial and Playette loved it and...we're now a gymnastics family.

It just makes for what currently feels like a really long day.

I haven't been sleeping well this week, so when we got home after five, BD and I rushed to figure out what to make ourselves for a later dinner while thanking the babysitter profusely for taking on the task of feeding Playette something extremely quick and nutritious so that we could get back out the door in time.

I've been late to this class once already. I don't want it to happen again.

The instructor is Bela Karolyi-esque. She doesn't mess around.

So with the rushing and the cooking and the eating and the actually having to participate in the class to help Playette and the non-stop yawning and then home, bath, and bed...I am so ready to eat and pass out myself.

Tomorrow will be quieter.

And our Littlest loves the class. She's about as graceful as a rhino and she rolls like a triangle, but we're all smiling throughout, so I call it a success.

0 comments: