Monday, October 24, 2011

In My Head

This is the first year that I can recall not being all stressed about trying to fulfill my 31-for-21 obligation to post every day in October. I think that may be because I'm not trying to make it all about Ds this year. And that's easier for me to do now because, as time has passed, that's become more of a side item in our dinner or life instead of the main course.

Ok, that was a little goofy, but you know what I mean.

There was a point where my life was all Ds, all the time. And not in a good way.

It was more like an overwhelmed, really sad, looking for a light at the end of the tunnel kind of way.

And I have to say, while our lives are now filled with more people and families that identify with Ds than ever before, it doesn't feel like too much.

It feels just right.

I love my friends with no children. I love my friends with typically developing children. I love my friends with children that came with a little something extra.

It's made my life rich, I think. I can't say "richer" for sure, because who can say, but rich fits just fine.

I like knowing that I'm not the only one wondering about Kindergarten placement.

I like being able to laugh at things our kids do only the way that parents who are "in the know" can.

I like answering questions from people that are asking because they care and really want to know what I think.

I like seeing my kid treated exactly like the others in the room, whether that's being fed, bathed, read to, or disciplined.

I like knowing, really knowing, that my child will never be left alone, even if I'm not here. She'll have someone.

That's really all that's on my mind tonight.

We had a regular day, doing regular things.

I don't feel particularly funny or eloquent or strongly about any singular topic tonight.

And that's totally working for me.

=====

If y'all want me to expound on anything, speak up, 'k?

Before you know it, I'll be back in my weekly posting rabbit hole.

3 comments:

krlr said...

I think that's it exactly - it's a part of our lives but it's not THE THING. And yet, without getting all sentimental & mushy, I do feel a bit rich(er) for it.

Well said. Unlike my comment! Sometimes I should just stick with, "yes, that."

Me said...

You can't go back to weekly posting...I'm loving this "seeing you" every day thing!

Unknown said...

I love reading your posts. They are always insightful and generally light hearted and funny. It's a good way to see in to what many of us deal with day to day, and some of us may never deal with, but brings it all in to perspective. Thanks!