Friday, December 4, 2009

Learning, Future, all that stuff

Someone asked me the other day what I would like for Playette, ideally, when it comes to her education.

I think this video is a good example:



Now, I realize that full inclusion isn't the path of choice for all kids, so if Playette seems more frustrated than she is flourishing, then, of course, we'd have to explore other options.

But when she was born and I was still digesting the news of her diagnosis, I read something that put the thought into my head that she'd be able to do anything, just maybe not at the same pace as her typically-developing peers.

So, maybe she'd excel in reading and history-type stuff like I did, or be better at math and science like her dad, or maybe she'd forge a new path and be way into the arts...but is it so horrible if she doesn't do well at everything? I mean, not all that many of us do.

I sure don't.

That philosophy continues to comfort me when I have doubts and fears and anxieties, so I'll hold it tight. Maybe for just a bit longer, maybe forever.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this! I feel the same way....there are some things I am really good at, and plenty I am not. Kamryn and Playett will be GREAT at so many things! (No different than the rest of the world)! xoxo, Andrea

AZ Chapman said...

I love history I hope Playette will love it as well come visit

Karly said...

Love that video. Love it.