Monday, June 15, 2009

SacTown

We're just wrapping up a pretty nice weekend over here, but before I can talk about that, I must take the time to acknowledge last weekend.

Last fall, Sheree and her family came to visit us. We had a great time chatting and going to the aquarium together. It was so nice that we promised to get together again.

And then life happened.

Next thing you know, it was May. I was bummed that we'd have to miss Gabby's birthday party since I was going to be away for reserve duty. When Sheree and I spoke, we made tentative plans to just pick a weekend in June and make it happen. And make it happen we did.

Early on Saturday morning, BD, Playette, and I piled into the car and began our trek.

When we got there, we were met by some of the most hospitable people ever. They immediately made us comfortable, told us to make ourselves at home, and meant it.

After playing with the kids for a while, we drove into Sacramento for our first activity of the day. I was very excited to meet Lisa and Monica, moms to Sheridan and John Michael, respectively. Monica also brought her lovely and helpful daughters, Anna and Greta.

The kids were so adorable, the day was beautiful, and the company was great. All moms of little ones with Ds (from 9-23 months), we shared ideas, answered questions, talked about the upcoming conference, and more. It was a great experience for me and I look forward to seeing them again soon.



After leaving the park where we had the playdate, the fun continued. Can you say "ice cream sundaes"? Mmmmm.



We weren't back at the house long before we were joined by Sonia and her family. None of us had ever met before, but Sonia and I have the Navy wife thing in common (plus, her husband is a Submariner, something BD can relate to).

So, now we've got a house full. 6 adults, 6 kids. The littlest ones were our three princesses, all at different stages, yet still a year old. It was so amazing and they were so sweet.

I got all mushy at one point when I looked at them. These girls are beautiful. Really. And I was overcome with the thought that people are afraid to have babies just like them. And then I thought of how wonderful it was to just be.

I mean, a lot of times when I'm out with people whose kids don't have T21, I wonder what they're thinking. Are they silently thankful that they're kid isn't like mine? Are they wondering why she isn't talking? Why is she so small? And if I haven't told them about her diagnosis, are they nervous about asking me?

You know, that kinda stuff.

Well, in this group, I didn't have to worry about that. Not one bit. I was relaxed. I was enjoying the moment. And it was great.

So I cried.

Sorry, y'all.

When I pulled myself together, I couldn't help but notice how grown up my little girl is becoming. She was enamored with the older kids and kept wanting to hang out with them.

Where's my baby?!

Oh, wait. There she is. Dunking.



I've been sitting here trying to figure out where all my pictures went and then *bam* it hit me. I was so busy coveting Sheree's camera, that I hardly picked up mine at all. Ha! Lucky, Sheree. Now she has a SD card full of artistic photos of things like Chick-fil-A nuggets.

For some different perspectives on that day, check here:

Lisa's post

Monica's post


Sonia's post

On Sunday, we woke up to the smell of this stuff called "breakfast." Have you heard of it? Apparently, it doesn't just come from a drive-through.

Sheree made us breakfast, y'all. You know I didn't want to leave, right? And she helped me make the Pumpkin Pound Cake I've been dreaming about since December.

*swoon*

Then we went shopping at a discount store.

*be still my heart*

We are so going back.

If they'll have us.

4 comments:

Wendy P said...

What a lovely visit! I'm so glad (and jealous!) that y'all were able to get together.

Lisa said...

SO glad you got to visit Vic's! I grew up in that neighborhood and have great memories of ice cream from there (some of the best in Sac Town!). It was so much fun to see you, and I'm glad you all had a great time (and breakfast not from a drive through). Hope to do it again soon.

sheree said...

I am such a slacker with the photos...I need to send those out STAT!

I am so glad you guys felt welcome and at home and of course we would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have you guys back anytime! Seriously!!

Michelle said...

What a wonderful get together! It's so nice to be in the company of others who just 'get it'.