Friday, June 5, 2009

Making up gang signs is hard.

My dear friend, Kanuck, pointed out to me that I was confusing "D" and "F" in my photos from yesterday.

Obviously, I'm not watching enough Signing Time.

I blame Facebook.

Now. If there's one thing I've learned about gang signs, it's that you don't want to screw them up.

Trust me on this.

So, here's a new a new display that you can rep in your 'hood:

D (for real)
+
S
=
This.

It's subtle.

But, then again - and I don't know about you - but I don't typically go around flashing what looks like a #1 at people. So who knows. It's a possibility at least.

And, really, this is all about making me feel less uncomfortable when I stalk strangers, so I guess a lapel pin or a whistle could work just as well. I'm probably still going to look crazy, regardless.

7 comments:

Molly said...

you should make a little business card!

"Hi, my name is Chrystal. My little girl has DS and is SUPER freaking cute. I'd flash you my gang sign but it's a work in progress. We're all part of the club. Let's chat

Please note. Official gang sign will be distributed on similar cards at a later date"

Seriously though, I grapple with this all the time. And I'm 20 and have no kids, so I can't exactly bring my kid over. But I work in special ed.

oh and btw, the sign for special needs is putting your hand on your forehead and making an "s" followed by an "n". Or at least that's what I was told... but that's harder to flash than a #1 sign

sheree said...

yeah...you know what, I vote for the whistle.

Let's just wear a blue and yellow whistle around our necks at ALL times and if/when we ever see another family touched by an extra 21, let's blow those babies till we're blue in the face.

;)

Anonymous said...

you are killing me with this stuff. I have been laughing way to hard when I visit your blog.

keep it up!!!

Tricia said...

You are a riot! This has me cracking up! I have to start brainstorming! :) (And I have to get out more so I can start flashing some signs!)

The Sanchez Family said...

You are hilarious! I love it! We NEED to figure this all out. So sad I missed meeting you yesterday, I had a day that was never ending. BUT hopefully soon? at the convention at least?!?!?!? I HOPE!!!

jonashpdx said...

business cards are a good idea. as a football fan, i'm trying to find a jersey with a big 21 on it to wear out and about... I like the signing idea, too, but I'd fumble the hand signals up so badly I'd probably end up offending somebody.

Monica Crumley said...

Funny! I love that! I think a tattoo is probably the most permanent way. Or maybe initials carved in your hair?