Thursday, December 18, 2008

SITREP

So I've been slacking. You know that and I know that. I've just been so busy.

I'd like to take a moment to bring you up to speed on a few things I've talked about here:

Your Baby Can Read - I TiVo'd the show, but I haven't had the opportunity to sit down and watch it yet. Hopefully I'll be able to in the next day or two. I really appreciate the feedback Michelle provided on her experience with the program. That lets me know up-front that if we invest in YBCR, we need to make sure to take the time to follow the program to the letter. Geesh. Sometimes that's the hardest part! (Exhibit 1: Exercise DVDs)

The Dilemma - We got to go to the shindig! Yup, my very sweet co-worker came through in the clutch. She's met and spent time with Playette before and they really enjoyed one another. It was a really good match. I hated to have to ask, and really was prepared to just stay home, but she was glad to do it so WOOHOO! It was only two hours and, sure, the students/spouses may have been the youngest people in the room by about 67 years, but it was still cool to get dressed up since we don't get to do that very often.

Cookie Party - I ate until I was sick. Like, I literally came home with a booming headache that I attribute to the embarrassing glutinous show I put on at work. Even though I got some really good ideas from you all regarding how to show up the rest of the office with my mad cookie baking skillz, I folded. For one, I am what some call cheap frugal. I had purchased some cookie mix not too long ago when I had a coupon and it was on sale at the commissary. Since I had water and eggs on-hand, here was my opportunity to actually use what I purchased instead of having it packed up in two years when we move again and then getting "that look" from BD when it was unpacked on the other side because we just made way too much effort to move expired cookie mix.

So, yeah, that's what I did. I made bagged oatmeal and oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Blah. I just learned last night that the reason they didn't even come out that great, despite the fact that I put no additional effort into them whatsoever, is because I didn't let them cool long enough, thus creating some weird looking aeration thing where it looked like the cookie was a shell of its former self.

One day soon, I'm gonna make a carrot cake so that I can redeem myself. I make a really good carrot cake. Or maybe I should say, "I have a really good carrot cake recipe and when I make it, I tend to actually follow the directions most of the time."

Work - Work is work. It's been very interesting lately. Suffice it to say that I'm glad to be taking a few days off very soon. More about that later.

1 comments:

sheree said...

good update! I am laughing at your baking skills. But if you can make a mean carrot cake, you can do just about anything!

Glad you got to go to the party! Pics?