Friday, June 20, 2008

Wobbly Steps

No, not for Malea. For the Moma.

You can thank the quality MTV programming of My Super Sweet 16 for "Moma" as in "Moma, where's all the people for my grand entrance?! Moma, no one's outside and I'm in the hella-coptuh! Mo-Muhhh!"

Ok, so the response has been great so far. It seems that many of you are like me, sitting at your desk all snotty and reflective this morning, wiping away tears and all that. My appreciation knows no bounds.

Well, in the midst of all this sentiment...um...I'm leaving. Not by myself and not forever. The Big One (my baby's daddy, let's call him BD) and I are going to Vegas this afternoon. Yes, I'm taking my sickly self to Vegas. The same self that was in the ER twice this week and was finally diagnosed with pneumonia. I'm not cured or anything, but I'm on the mend, have my meds, and received a good report at my follow-up appointment yesterday. I figure I could lay around here (of course it's actually going to be hot for once and I'm going to miss it) or I could do the same thing by the pool at the Flamingo (yeah, we don't have outdoor pools here cause it's - say it with me - never hot enough. grumble grumble).

We planned this several months ago since BD is on vacation from school for just a short time and he loves Vegas and it's a short trip and it's birthday and anniversary time and $49 each way! and Malea could stay here with her grandparents and...

Yup, that's the kicker. My baby's staying behind this time. She's already out and about today and I'm sure she'll have a great time and be well taken care of this weekend. But it's still the first time so it's awkward. I'm not really bad about separation, but she is starting to be and I can't help but think of that. As it is, I haven't been able to hold and kiss her much this week due to my cooties. I've been wondering how that's made her feel...to see me, reach for me, wave at me, and have me not rush over or reciprocate? And now I'm just not going to be here when she gets back? Seems cruel in a way. Please tell me it's not.

BD and I need this time together. We've got dinner reservations somewhere nice tonight and tickets to see the Flying Freaks tomorrow. We'll be home Sunday afternoon, refreshed in mind, body, and spirit.

I guess I don't have any excuse for not going back to work on Monday after this, huh?


0 comments: