Thursday, October 2, 2014

Two and Two

It's Down Syndrome Awareness Month, y'all!

And, I remembered my password to this blog!

Will wonders never cease?

I haven't been writing much since...well, 2012? Two kids was a huge adjustment that I'm still working through.

It hit me a couple of months ago that we have a nice little numerical phenomenom going on
Right now, it reminds me a lot of Chuck Woolery's iconic line from Love Connection: "We'll be back in two and two."

Unless something changes with Playette's schooling, her grade will match Dez's age. She's in 2nd and he's 2.

So for all of you wondering what I've been doing for the past 2.5 years, there you go.

This will be the first year in forever that I'm not going to commit to blogging daily. 31 for 21 is so far outside of my realistic capabilities, but while the kids are indulging in a little sick day PBSing, I figured I could at least manage an acknowlegement.

Hows about an update?

As I mentioned, Playette is in second grade. She loves it. It's challenging. She's fully included and tries so, so hard, but we are realizing that she needs more time, more attention, more lots of things. She can do some of the work, but she has areas where she struggles. I created a nightly schedule to try and manage how studying for spelling tests, working on reading (decoding and comprehension), math, daily worksheets, dance class, therapy, dinner, bath, and time to enjoy being a kid gets accomplished. It's a lot. I'm tired. I don't feel "special." I feel almost totally unequipped. We even hired a sitter to come three afternoons a week to get it done. She was great and acted more like a tutor. So of course she got a better job and yesterday was her last day. Yeah. What to do now?

And then there's Dez. Well. It's very different. He picks things up without difficulty. He's quick. Like, super quick. His speech and memory are amazing. He wants to do everything his sister does and some of it he can. When he surpasses her, I don't know whether to feel proud of my son or perturbed for my daughter. There's a balance that needs to be reached for sure. I'm learning every day.

But, as a whole, they're both great kids. Funny, smart, unique, and crazy cute. They argue and they play together, just like any other siblings. They love and they annoy, just like any other kids.






9 comments:

jody lynn said...

thanks for the update, I miss hearing about playette and the little guy.

krlr said...

EEEKKK!! A POST! YAY!
I HAVE MISSED YOU SO, SO MUCH!!!
There, yelly rant over. Just imagine me doing a little football touchdown dance… oops, never mind, that's not a pretty picture. But, yay! An update!

Molly said...

OH HI!!!!! Hello friend. Missed you and your beautiful family.

Me ;-) said...

So happy to see this post! Maybe I'll jump on the bandwagon and do an update post soon. With a 5 year old and a 21 month old, spare time or energy isn't my friend these days.

Beth said...

HIya! It's been so long since I've trolling "old" blogs! Can't believe she's in 2nd grade! I need pictures!

Wyph said...

Hi! Nice to hear from your life. I think of you sometimes. Wish I could give you a hug that would make you feel as empowered and capable as we see you!

Anonymous said...

Consider Daniel 10:21/12:9 - 'sealed' Book of Truth
www.thebookoftruthonline.blogspot.com
Seal of the Living God: message - 2/20/12
Benedict: message - 2/19/13

chris said...

I have a password manager on my computer. Otherwise I wouldn't have a clue of any of my passwords!

Anonymous said...

真人视讯聊天 , 真人视讯聊天 , 真人视讯聊天 , 真人视讯聊天 , 真人视讯聊天 , 真人视讯聊天 , 真人视讯聊天 , 真人视讯聊天 , 真人视讯聊天 , 真人视讯聊天