Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Flourishing

Sorry that I haven't been actually writing much lately. For those of you that also blog, you're probably familiar with the term "in drafts." I have lots of posts in drafts. Started, but not completed.

So, if you're looking for more info on the Ds conference or how we met some more formerly-online-only friends or want to hear about when Playette flew her first kite or need to know what just what "Thaiwaiian" is exactly or want to hear the details of the party that just won't plan itself or want to know my thoughts on the ideas presented in the 600+-page megabook, Disability is Natural or are looking forward to seeing our first professional family photos or are curious what orange highlighters, of all things, have to do with success at all?

Stay tuned. It's all coming. Promise.

Today though? Today, I'd like to introduce you to the Flourish Network.

It's a web site. It's a community. It's an idea come to life.

"The mission of Flourish Network is to improve the lives of children with special needs by helping parents become connected, informed, and poised to advocate for an environment that is fully inclusive and supportive of their children."

I met the founder of Flourish, Kori Shaw, at the NDSC conference. While she's a mom, like me, her children just happen to lack an extra 21st chromosome. Yet, she was just about everywhere I was at the conference. She came to lunch with the bloggers, she set up a booth in the exhibit hall. I saw her interviewing families, taking pictures, learning. This is a woman on a mission, y'all.

As you have time, please click on over to the site. The more people that know about it, the stronger the community can become.

Kori sent me a very nice email this morning, letting me know that she had posted a profile based on our interaction at the conference on the Flourish Network site. I had forgotten, until then, that one of those families that she had been taking pictures of was mine!

Check us out.

0 comments: