Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Long Day

I'm actually glad to be tired today. After little sleep last night and traveling all day, I might actually get to sleep at a decent hour and avoid jet lag.

As I mentioned in my last post, I'm all about Reverse Manifest Destiny. West to East, baby. It's exciting for me to be here in NY, my home-away-from-home for so long.

It's kinda bittersweet though..not just because I'm so close to friends that I miss so much and don't have the opportunity to see, but also because I'm staying in the town where my mother grew up and, up until a few years ago, my grandmother was the lady everyone knew and said hello to and asked about. She lived here for so long... worked at the local high school, in the neighborhood park, taking care of people, and just loving everyone.

The thing is, all she did was move away.

It still is hard for me to be here though because the memories are overwhelming. I can't help but think of when my mother took me to buy new school shoes at the place that is now a drug store...and when we took the dogs, Pierre and King, to that same vet that sits right off the main thoroughfare...going to the deli at the bottom of the hill with a bag of cans so that we could buy snacks with the change we received for the deposit...the blue house that I loved so much that is now white and remodeled to the point that it's now almost unfamiliar.

At least the tree out front is still there.

I miss my extended family. Not the dysfunction, of course, but the good times. You couldn't have paid me to believe that only one family member would attend my wedding and hardly anyone would have met my daughter.

*shaking it off*

So, tomorrow, off I go to do the work that I'm here for. To inspire and educate. To represent.

It's good to be "home."

0 comments: